We are open - safety is our top priority!
Which Dental Crown Is Right for You?
When your teeth become weak or vulnerable because of a fracture, root canal treatment, or deep filling, your dentist can restore their appearance and function with dental crowns. A dental crown or cap is cemented over the visible surfaces of a tooth to provide protection from additional wear and damage. Several materials are commonly used to craft dental crowns. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The following seven types of dental crowns may be available to you, depending on your specific needs:
- Porcelain and ceramic crowns are popular because they closely match the appearance of natural teeth. Newer ceramic crowns are becoming increasingly durable, and some dental offices can make them on-site while patients wait.
- Composite resin crowns are considerably less expensive than other types of dental crowns, but they are prone to fracture and are not as durable as metal and ceramic crowns.
- Gold or gold alloy dental crowns are traditional choices that offer excellent durability and require less modification of the natural tooth. Gold dental crowns will not break or chip, and they cause the least amount of wear on opposing teeth.
- Other metal alloys are also used in making crowns. Combinations may include platinum, palladium, nickel, and chromium. All-metal dental crowns are more visible in the mouth and are often reserved for molars.
- Zirconia crowns are a versatile choice with high aesthetic value. The durable ceramic material can be made very thin and either translucent or opaque.
- A combination crown is made from more than one material. Typically, they are crafted from porcelain fused to metal. The combination makes the dental crown more durable than its ceramic peers, but it still provides a natural appearance.
- Stainless steel crowns are typically used as temporary coverings for badly damaged primary teeth and first molars in children and fractured permanent incisors.
Selecting the Right Dental Crown
The best way to choose the right type of dental crown is to talk to your dentist in Dalton. Your dentist can determine which type of crown will work best for your tooth, and also help you decide which types of dental crowns are the most affordable and give you the appearance and performance you’re looking for.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Dalton, call today at or make an appointment.
offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Dalton. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .