We Are Open – Safety is Our Top Priority!
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Posted on: February 26, 2015
How to Tackle and Treat Tooth Pain
Your soreness and sensitivity can come from many causes, such as dental decay, injury, or undetected infection. Tooth pain must not be ignored, but you may not know the best ways to soothe your dental distress. To help you troubleshoot your tooth pain, check out this helpful guide to help you find the relief you need.
Abrupt Sensitivity to Hot and Cold
Do frosty foods and hot drinks cause your teeth to tingle? It’s usually caused by a minor problem like a lost filling, a bit of decay, or a slight gum recession. Here are four tips to treat these twinges:
- Only brush with an up-and-down motion since brushing sideways can wear away exposed root surfaces.
- Brush with a soft brush and a gentle touch.
- Use toothpastes made for sensitive teeth.
- Go to a dental clinic if these tips don’t treat the trouble.
Sensitivity to Hot and Cold After Dental Work
If you’ve recently had dental work, you may experience sensitivity. Dental work can irritate the pulp inside of the tooth, causing temporary sensitivity to extremes in temperature.
- If possible, wait for two to four weeks to see if the pain passes.
- If the sensitivity stays, visit a dental clinic to get to the root of the problem.
Pangs of Pain When Biting Down
The source of the sting can be tooth decay, a loose filling, or a crack in the tooth. Yet it also can come from deep damage to the tooth’s tissue.
- Find a dentist in Dalton to get an expert opinion.
- You may be referred to a specialist called an endodontist if the problem is caused by tissue damage.
- The endodontist will most likely perform a root canal to remove the damaged tissue and ease the ache.
Pressure and Discomfort in the Upper Teeth and jaw
The pain may be based on bruxism, which is the grinding of the teeth. But it can also be blamed on a sinus headache, which is felt in the teeth and face.
- Sufferers of sinus headaches can try over-the-counter medication, but should go to a specialist if the pain is a chronic problem
- Visit a dentist in Dalton if you tend to grind your teeth to discuss the treatments for bruxism.
Perpetual Pain, Sensitivity & Swelling
When your teeth are causing this type of trouble, the problem may be an abscessed tooth that has caused an infection in the bone and tissue.
- Go to a dentist in Dalton for an expert evaluation and treatment options to save the tooth.
- You may be referred to an endodontist if you need the care of a specialist.
- Take over-the-counter medications to relieve any pain until your appointment with the endodontist.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Dalton, call today at or make an appointment.
offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Dalton. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .