We Are Open – Safety is Our Top Priority!
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Posted on: August 5, 2015
6 Bad Dental Habits Sabotaging Your Smile
Your dental health is in your hands, so you want to avoid having bad habits to ensure you have a great smile. See which habits could be hurting your teeth in order to save your smile.
1. Brushing Badly: Most people think that the harder they brush, the cleaner their teeth. But using too much pressure when brushing or using a hard-bristled toothbrush can do significant damage to the delicate tooth enamel and cause severe tooth sensitivity. To avoid these dental care risks, brush gently yet thoroughly with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
2. Swallowing Fluoridated Toothpaste: When parents discuss how to cure bad dental habits in their children, this one is rarely mentioned because many parents think that toothpaste is harmless when swallowed. The truth is that ingesting too much fluoride can lead to problems in the teeth and bones. To reverse the problem, teach kids that toothpaste is not candy and is actually bad for their health when swallowed.
3. Bypassing Bad Breath: Most people associate bad breath with poor dental care instead of health. As a result, it may be mentioned when discussing how to cure bad dental habits, but people focus on the cure of simply brushing more often or using mouthwash to prevent bad odor. While those solutions are helpful, it’s important to realize that bad breath can be a warning sign of a major medical condition, such as heart disease, liver disease, or uncontrolled diabetes. If bad breath doesn’t subside once you’re practicing better dental care, talk to your dentist about possible problems.
4. Smoking: It’s deadly to use of any type of tobacco, regardless of whether it’s smoked or chewed. Tobacco use is not only one of the worst bad dental habits, but it’s also one of the worst overall health habits because contributes to cancer.
5. Using Teeth as Tools: This is one of the most common bad dental habits and many people do it mindlessly. Some use their teeth to hold a pen, open a tight bottle cap, thread a needle, bite their nails, or grasp a hair clip when their hands are full. But this habit can be harmful by chipping your teeth, causing the loss of tooth enamel, and leading to dental care problems over time. It may take some time to change this habit, but keep reminding and stopping yourself from using your teeth as handy tools.
6. Grinding Your Teeth and Clenching Your Jaw: Have you developed the bad dental habits of teeth grinding or jaw clenching? This is actually a disorder called bruxism and it can cause major dental care problems, tooth loss, serious jaw pain, facial soreness, tooth sensitivity, and headaches.
For advice on how to cure bad dental habits, ask your dentist which treatment options are right for you.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Dalton, call today at or make an appointment.
offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Dalton. Our office is conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At , we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at .